Doing a bit of a cleanup on the CK. I am trying to avoid a teardown and rebuild but will know more as I get into the cleanup. For now, so far, all looks good and not planning on any major teardown.
Turns out I need to pull off the clutch and sheave to get the belt guard off for better cleanup – I am going to pass on the procedure for now and work around it. End gear train most troublesome to clean/get at but will be tackled soon.
A week has past since we confirmed the purchase of the lathe. Have not slept much since. Dreaming of all the ways this could go wrong. Actually went pretty smooth. Forklift on sellers end made quick work of getting it on my buddies trailer. Said “buddy” is partially to blame for making this happen;). Extremely grateful to Brian for generous resource and time!
Sitting on pallets on the car carrier trailer. I have pallet jack so my initial thought were to muscle it off with that and some other implements but then the reality of 3600lbs came into play.
During the week I set plan B into action. Built a skid under the lathe as I removed the pallets. Lots of blocks, 4x4s, prybars and a Johnson bar and I managed to get the skid installed for what proved to be a uneventful slide off the trailer.
Further inspection, clean-up and wiring coming soon.
Could not help myself when this shop made cabinet came up for bid at the 2020 Cabin Fever Expo. Got lucky and fit under a machine base that had a makeshift set of storage that I never was that thrilled with. Almost the same color green and fit like a not so good fitting glove but way better than before.
How does this become a thing? Well, first you start with a buddy giving you a call one day asking if you want an old industrial sewing machine. You say no, he says too late it is in the back of my truck heading to your shop. Truth be told, I kinda did want a industrial sewing machine but just was not quite “mentally prepared” to deal with it at the time.
Up next: more tool rolls, canvas bags and who knows what else!
Could not help myself at Cabin Fever Expo. Took a bet on a $10 Simpson 260 Series 7M. Same multi meter we used in high school. Typically these fail because of leaking batteries – hence the bet. Yeah, I know, I could have opened it up as you should when you look at any of these but where is the thrill in that.
I call the bet a break even. Indeed battery leakage had destroyed the clips for both D-Cell and 9 Volt. With a little bit of cleanup and replacement of both the D-Cell and 9v Battery holder she is working like a charm.
Great early Stump Anvil. Came out of a logging camp in Maine. Basically a portable anvil, shop made, that was used on logging sites. Fell a tree, hollow the stump to accept the hardy-esque end and use in on site until you move on.
Found this soldering iron while organizing the shop. Not sure where/when I got it. Must have been an auction box lot. Looked it up and found American Beauty is still going strong. Was able to pickup some replacement tips and set screws (yes, could have got those anywhere but was too easy not to order them with the tips).
It heats up great and really gets the job done. Posted a few pics of some initial tinning. Certainly an industrial / production type iron, no bells and whistles, not even a switch. Going to try tinning some thin cable (bicycle – brake and shift).
The recent Foley Belt Sander/Grinder went so well I could not help myself. Eyed this one from the roadside at local residence close to home. Been exposed to the weather for almost too long. Plugged her in and she fired right up and in classic Baldor form took 10 minutes to stop spinning after turning off. Was not going to re-paint but now I am in deep so what the heck. Came apart relatively easily (nice to work on quality products). Missing side covers – may have to make some or deal without.