Found this at Liberty Tool today. Motor spun in reverse on 120v so good enough for me to take home and mess with. I think it is wired for 240 so will play with it more when I get her home.
Quick photos from the back of my Suburu…
After further review it is wired for 120. I diagnosed the wiring on the switch and it is wired for 120. The switch handle was loose so it would not engage the forward position. Will update with wire details later but typically the wires coming out of the motor are labeled – T1, T2, T3, etc and if I recall a white stripe wire(s) for line in. From what I understand about motors, if you can’t read/identify the wires then there is no way to measure/figure them out.
Another note: this wiring had a 115v Capacitor inline with one of the “line-in” wires? This makes no sense to me and I think was added later in it’s life for no good reason. Too small for starter or run capacitor from what I have read.
Decided the cabinet was too far gone even for me:) I generally like the as found paint but this was pretty far gone. Leaving the lathe alone (for now). To do that correct it would have to be taken down which is something I don’t have in me at the moment. Lathe is working good so leaving well enough alone.
Not to be confused (as I did in earlier post) to the Geometric Die Heads. After much digging around I have found tons of Geometric Die Heads, a few odd brands but nothing like the GTD one pictured below.
This GTD version seems to be adjustable over a particular range of diameters. The markings on the chasers (the only ones with it) say 18 18. Typical Type D chasers are specific to diameter and tpi – say 5/16-18 for instance. This GTD version is marked 1/2″ so basically the 18 18 chasers would be useful for 5/16-18 and not much else I am afraid.
The D type chasers are available, yet to find the J Hook looking ones that are used in the GTD Model.
In deep now. Have the doors off the base, all sides initially stripped. Probably won’t strip inards not the actual lathe unit as I don’t want to tear it down at this point. More prep to do but making progress.
Removed non functioning Cutler Hammer Type S size 4 from the Rivett 918. Also noticed that the Variable Speed Drive has a broken “foot” and the bottom left Pulley is wonky. Can feel the vibration so I will investigate solutions.