Doing a bit of a cleanup on the CK. I am trying to avoid a teardown and rebuild but will know more as I get into the cleanup. For now, so far, all looks good and not planning on any major teardown.
Turns out I need to pull off the clutch and sheave to get the belt guard off for better cleanup – I am going to pass on the procedure for now and work around it. End gear train most troublesome to clean/get at but will be tackled soon.
A week has past since we confirmed the purchase of the lathe. Have not slept much since. Dreaming of all the ways this could go wrong. Actually went pretty smooth. Forklift on sellers end made quick work of getting it on my buddies trailer. Said “buddy” is partially to blame for making this happen;). Extremely grateful to Brian for generous resource and time!
Sitting on pallets on the car carrier trailer. I have pallet jack so my initial thought were to muscle it off with that and some other implements but then the reality of 3600lbs came into play.
During the week I set plan B into action. Built a skid under the lathe as I removed the pallets. Lots of blocks, 4x4s, prybars and a Johnson bar and I managed to get the skid installed for what proved to be a uneventful slide off the trailer.
Further inspection, clean-up and wiring coming soon.
Been keeping an eye out for an upgrade to my Sheldon 10 EXL 56-P. Eyed this one on semi local Craig’s list with some not to great photos but was able to tell it was a Monarch.
From the pic I thought it would be way to big for me but really could not tell for sure. Few inquiries to the poster and in fact a Monarch CK – 12×30. Big yes, too big?.. not sure so we setup a visit. Kinda like saying I am going to the animal shelter to look.
Was able to run her through all the spindle speeds and a wide range of feeds without issue. Used saddle lock method of checking any drastic wear on the ways…also without issue. Visual inspection of rack, feed screw and overall condition passed scrutiny as well. Drove home and obsessed about it for several days and researched as much as I could about these machines.
Did not get the chance to open the head stock cover – obsessed about that for sure although was comforted by the fact that the run through all the spindle speeds was remarkably smooth.
One of the most intimidating part of the purchase decision was the weight. I have not moved anything over one ton. Most machines in my shop are 900 to 1300 so all my previous acquisitions I was able to handle by myself. I have capabilities to lift up to 1 ton max so this move was going to take some additional planning.
Fair amount of info on the internet – not to mention Monarch Lathes appears to have pretty much all the info you could imagine for these machines as well as the ability to make just about any part necessary from the original specs. Justifiably pricey but comforting to know if you really get in a jam there is a way out.
Vintage Machinery has a fair amount of info and it so happens Keith Rucker does a complete series of a Monarch Restoration (larger and newer Model K but great process). Adam Booth Abom79 on Youtube has the bigger brother to the CK — The CY I think. Comforting to know that these two are Monarch fans and are such good resources.
Well after all things considered I bit the bullet and did the deal! I am the proud new owner of a 1944 Monarch CK!
Could not help myself when this shop made cabinet came up for bid at the 2020 Cabin Fever Expo. Got lucky and fit under a machine base that had a makeshift set of storage that I never was that thrilled with. Almost the same color green and fit like a not so good fitting glove but way better than before.
How does this become a thing? Well, first you start with a buddy giving you a call one day asking if you want an old industrial sewing machine. You say no, he says too late it is in the back of my truck heading to your shop. Truth be told, I kinda did want a industrial sewing machine but just was not quite “mentally prepared” to deal with it at the time.
Up next: more tool rolls, canvas bags and who knows what else!
Could not help myself at Cabin Fever Expo. Took a bet on a $10 Simpson 260 Series 7M. Same multi meter we used in high school. Typically these fail because of leaking batteries – hence the bet. Yeah, I know, I could have opened it up as you should when you look at any of these but where is the thrill in that.
I call the bet a break even. Indeed battery leakage had destroyed the clips for both D-Cell and 9 Volt. With a little bit of cleanup and replacement of both the D-Cell and 9v Battery holder she is working like a charm.
Well it had to happen at some point. Consolidation of all the resistors I have gathered over the years. I actually wanted the drawer space back for the growing numbers of micro controllers and boards so I managed to clean out 24 drawers and one complete (well almost) cabinet.
Privacy & Cookies Policy
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.